Homecoming 2019 reunites alumni, parents, and friends of SPU
More than 650 people gathered on campus the first weekend in February for SPU's 65th Homecoming and Family Weekend.
Here are some memorable highlights from the weekend:
- Academic departments hosted 10 academic reunions. The nursing program hosted a building dedication and celebration for their new space at 6 Nickerson Street; the Computer Science Department celebrated their 40th anniversary; the School of Business, Government, and Economics announced their alumni of the year; and the School of Theology held a special farewell for retiring Old Testament Professor Frank Spina. See photos of the events.
- Activity groups hosted five reunions across campus. Among them, the Centurions celebrated their 60th anniversary during an afternoon lunch, baseball alums held another reunion after a successful one last year, the Falconettes gathered for their annual tea, and Multi-Ethnic Programs hosted their first reunion. See photos of the events.
- Students and families enjoyed eight acts at the SPU Talent Show. The step team B^2 won first place and the People of Promise awardees were announced. The recipients were Sonja Gundersen, Diamond Tate, Julianne Paine, Jacob Carlton, Monica Moeng, and Molly Merriman. See photos of the event.
- The Theatre Department kicked off their winter mainstage production, Before the Eclipse. A small group of actors reveled and railed at the comedy of life as they portrayed characters from some of Anton Chekhov’s funniest short plays.
- Athletics celebrated eight distinguished athletes with their induction into the Falcon Hall of Fame, including: Scott Cairns (Men’s Soccer), Kathie Kock Cradduck (Women’s Gymnastics), Marcus Hahnemann (Men’s Soccer), Gitte Karlshoj (Women’s Track & Field), Sarah Eldridge Martinez (Women’s Soccer), Jeff McBroom (Men’s Basketball), Jessica Tebo Pixler (Women’s Cross Country / Track & Field), and Perry Stangvik (Men’s Baseball). Learn more about each athlete.
- Outstanding student musicians from SPU’s Music Department presented a showcase of solo chamber music and jazz ensemble performances. See photos of the event.
- Seattle Pacific honored six outstanding SPU graduates for their professional success and commitment to service at the annual Alumni Awards Dinner. The awardees included Alumna of the Year Jenette Ramos MBA ’94 (Boeing Co.); GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade) Alumnae of the Year Natalie Closner Schepman ‘09 and Meeghan ’11 and Allison Closner ’11 (The Band Joseph); Allie Griffith Roth ’03 (With Love); and Philip Jacobs ’08 (Greatheart Consulting). Learn more about each of the recipients and watch their videos on YouTube. See photos from the event.
- A Homecoming crowd of 1,124 at Brougham Pavilion saw Men’s Basketball win 91-75 against Western Washington University.
If you couldn’t make it to this year’s Homecoming, check out the weekend’s photos online and join our online community, SPU Switchboard to connect with fellow alumni, faculty, staff, SPU families, and friends.
The 65th Homecoming and Family Weekend closed with a special Homecoming worship service at First Free Methodist Church. It was a fitting time to thank God and pray for our wonderful community.